Just gonna leave this here…..
So last week, trying to be productive while fighting off a cold, I started randomly cleaning small corners of my house. Now, this has become a daily thing and Jacob has also joined in, and our house is FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. Or at least it’s getting there. And then yesterday I discovered Unfuck Your Habitat and decided I should start taking before and after shots while I’m cleaning because who doesn’t love before and after shots of anything and everything? I do.
Here’s last night’s unfucking, with before photos including both of my dogs and even Cy snuck into one of the after shots…ANIMALS! Ps, they are part of the reason my house is always a wreck, notice what the dry-sink is covered in?
He is NOT allowed in the papasan, but he crept up with such ninja stealth that I had to let him stay. Also, this is the most beautiful dog in the universe and I refuse to hear anything to the contrary.
OH MY GOD one of our tigers did this (and it isn’t stuck on his head; one of the keepers went in to see if he needed help and he undid this and redid it on his own a few times) but oh my god hE’S PRETENDING TO BE A LION IM GONNA DIE
I SWEAR my dog was a tiger in a past life—every tiger photo instantly makes me think of him!
sometimes Krieger cuddles up to me with his face mooshed against my leg and his eyeball up against my skin and he’s just like *blink. blink. blink.*
Bisexual dogs are ruining this country thanks Obama.
OH MY GOD where can I buy? Krieger needs this!
Take a Bow
We’re kicking off “Trick of the Month” with one of my personal favorites—“Take a bow”. It’s relatively simple for both handler and dog to understand and is a good way to get into teaching tricks. I figured we’d start off with a simpler trick before moving on to more complex ones.
Here are some instructions for participating:
- Video tape your dog doing the trick. If you’d like to include how you taught your dog to do it, feel free.
- Make sure to tag your video “trick of the month” so everybody participating can see it.
- Upload the video to youtube first and then share it on tumblr. A lot of people have been having issues playing videos directly from tumblr.
- Please put “Trick of the Month: July, Take a Bow” in the description or in the video itself so we know which one it is.
- It’s called “Trick of the Month”. but it’s okay to post your trick well past a month if you and your dog need more time. Some dogs require more teaching than others and it’s perfectly understandable.
- If your dog already knows the trick, upload a video of them doing it anyway!
- You don’t have to, but for interest’s sake, feel free to put what you used for training—Luring, Shaping, What kind of treats, etc.
Good luck, handlers! I’m excited to participate myself and see everyone else’s dogs!
Here’s a link to a tutorial on how to teach “take a bow”, but feel free to use your own method if you have one.
I saw an idea on Reddit and I figured I’d introduce it to our dog training community on Tumblr!
The concept is “trick of the month”. Each month, I’ll post a trick with the tag “trick of the month” and challenge my followers (or anyone else who happens upon it) to teach their dog a new trick. Once the trick is solid, video tape or take a picture of your dog doing said trick. There will be two levels—Level 1 and Level 2. Level 1 is for folks who are just starting out or people with young puppies, Level 2 will be aimed towards slightly more experienced owners and adult dogs (or older puppies).
It will be a nice bonding experience for dog and owner and will strengthen to confidence of both you and your dog. Plus, it’ll be nice to see everyone’s different training styles. I will post a basic tutorial, but anyone would be free to try a different technique (as long as it involves positive reinforcement, no pain or punishment), the video would simply be a guide. If you guys have any idea, please suggest some, it’s still a work in progress.
I’d like to do the first one today since it’s the start of the month, but I’d like to know if people would actually do it.
So I was wondering—would there be any interest in this?
Sign me up!